3/4 cup tuar dal
3/4 cup chana dal
1/4 cup urad dal
A inches piece of ginger
4 red chillies
2 tbsp saunf
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 green chillies, very finely chopped
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp cashewnuts, broken
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp finely chopped curry leaves
3 tbsp grated coconut (optional)
Salt, according to taste
- Soak the dals together in lots of water, for 2 hrs., and then drain the water.
- Remove one fistful of the dals and set aside.
- Coarsely grind the rest of the dals along with ginger, red chillies, saunf, asafoetida and required salt. Add minimal or no water. If you grind it too finely, then the vadas won't be crisp.
- Mix together the ground dals, the whole dals which were set aside, chopped onions, green chillies, coriander, curry leaves, cashewnuts, and grated coconut.
- Make small balls, flatten into vadas, and deep fry till reddish brown in colour.
Serve hot, with coconut chutney.