Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Roasting peanuts is an art

Mom never roasts peanuts at home. In fact, it is not done in most Tamilian households (I do not know how it is in other parts of India; never struck me to ask my friends!) Not because people are lazy, but because it is TOUGH to roast peanuts. When roasted in a kadai, some peanuts tend to remain raw, others get charred, basically they never get roasted uniformly.

We have these peanut vendors, who come pushing their carts on the street, clanging their kadais with their metal ladles to catch our attention. These people roast peanuts in a sand bath, and it is so tasty, I bet you no one can eat just one. Sitting on the swing outside my house, on an early summer's afternoon, picking up the perfect bronze coloured roasted peanuts, one by one, from the paper cone package and popping it into my mouth. Yummm!

Coming to the point... technology really is a gift! I can now roast peanuts at home, in the microwave oven, and it is just as yummy as the authentic stuff from the street vendor.

Here's how you do it... marinate the peanuts in brine (concentrated salt water) for 10 minutes. Drain the water. Spread out the peanuts on a microwaveable dish, and microwave on High for 8 minutes (less or more depending on the amount of peanuts). Let it cool completely before eating; otherwise it won't be crisp.

Try this... it worked for me!!

No comments: