Thursday, March 02, 2006

Who will cry when you die?

"Real generosity to the future consists in giving all to what is present."

- Albert Camus

Who will cry when I die? I really don't know, and I probably will never know unless there really is life after death ;-)

Anyways, that's not what this post is about. I am now reading Robin Sharma's book "Who will cry when you die?" It's a nice book. He offers 101 tips for living a fuller life. But if you read the book at one go, it's not gonna help in any way. The day I started reading the book, I read around 20 of the suggestions at one go. The next morning, I did not remember even one. Then I decided to read one tip and implement it every day. It works!!!

Well, the tip that I liked the most was "Cure your monkey mind!" He explains how our mind tends to roam and be at umpteen places at the same time. Rather than focus on the current moment and the task at hand, we tend to think about the past or the future and about other tasks and events, thereby reducing focus and concentration on what we are doing at the moment.

Robin Sharma also suggests a way out. He asks us to try "Focus Reading". Focus on a page and keep reading it. Every time your mind wanders away, make a mark in the right margin. This will make us aware of our poor concentration, and help us to correct ourselves. I tried it today, it actually works.

No comments: