Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In God's Great Economy, Nothing Goes To Waste

(Some of the stories we read in the "moral story books" when we were young, some of the stories we receive through email forwards, they have beautiful messages--I have a little notebook in which I record those that touch my heart. Here is one of them. I really do not know who wrote this--if it is you, please let me know :-))


(Photo by Rosh PR, open-sourced under CreativeCommons Attribution-ShareAlike License)

A water-bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on each end of a pole which he carried across his shoulders. One of the pots had a crack in it. While the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream to the master's house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on, with the bearer being able to deliver only 1 1/2 pots of water to the master's house, in each trip. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect to the end for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its imperfection and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water-bearer one day, by the stream, "I am ashamed of myself and I want to apologise to you."

"Why?" asked the water-bearer.

"I have been able, for these two years, to deliver only half my load because the crack causes the water to leak out, all the way back to your master's house. Because of my flaw, you have to do a lot of extra work and do not get the full value of your efforts," the pot said.

The water-bearer felt sorry for the old pot, and said, "As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the lovely flowers along the path."

Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the Sun warming the beautiful flowers on the side of the path, and felt a little comforted. But at the end of the trail, it felt bad again for having leaked half the water and apologised once more to the water-bearer.

The bearer replied, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path and not on the other pot's side? This is because I have always known about your flaw and I took advantage of it. I planted flowering plants on your side of the path, and every day while walking back from the stream, you have watered them! For two years, I have been able to pick these pretty flowers to decorate my master's table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace his house."

Really, which of us is without faults? None that I know of. Sometimes we think God has His faults too... we blame Him for things that go wrong, we chide Him for attacking us with misfortune... indeed we see errors in everybody! Perhaps, ultimately, it is in our perception. Perhaps we forget to look at the person in the mirror and say, "Perhaps this is how things are meant to be! Why not take it in the right spirit and tweak this to our advantage?" Why not, really? Surely, that will mean a lot of "innovative" thought, in addition to overall optimism, but I am sure, if we make it a habit, then our eternal quest for "happiness" will end, successfully :-)

1 comment:

Anandham said...

That really throwed me some light. I was in a bad mood for some days now. But after reading the broken pot story & ur comments I felt little better. This is true. Ur posts are great. Keep writing

Thanks again
anandham