Here is the traditional More Kuzhambu recipe, right from my mom's diary. This can be prepared with various vegetables like ladies finger, white pumpkin, capsicum, colocasia etc.
Preparation time – 10 minutes.
Cooking Time – 5 to 10 minutes.
2 ½ cups sour buttermilk (thick)
7 or 8 small colocasia
4-5 green chillies
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp raw rice1/4 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coconut oil
Coriander or curry leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
- Add turmeric powder and salt to the buttermilk, mix well and keep aside.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds, raw rice and green chillies in a blender.
- Cook the colocasia and peel. If using any other vegetable, dice into moderately big pieces and cook.
- Add the ground paste and cooked vegetables to the buttermilk and mix well.
- Keep it on the stove and heat on low flame for a little while until it starts foaming.
- Remove from fire immediately. Overheating will cause the curds to separate and the dish will become watery.
- Season mustard seeds and fenugreek seeks in coconut oil. Add it to the kuzhambu.
- Garnish with coriander or curry leaves and serve lukewarm.
Note: Avoid reheating this dish. If using ladies finger instead of colocasia, cut them into 1” long pieces, fry them and add to kuzhambu just before serving so they remain crisp.